Startup Weekend Gaza 4 is the fourth and biggest SW ever to be held in Gaza. The first Startup Weekend in Gaza was launched by Google, SADAF Technologies, Mercy Corps, PalTel, and many other partners. This year, we are bringing together investors from abroad, dedicated coaches, fantastic corporate partners, and a whole load of community involvement. We're also adding some twists.
We received over 650 applications from people in Gaza who wanted to participate in this event. On June 19-21, the top 150 will compete to launch startups in front of investors and mentors from around the world.
Get ready for the best startup event Gaza has ever seen.
It’s time to show the world Gaza’s top startup talent! Last year, the first investments were made in Gaza startups. Investors are back looking for opportunities. What are you going to reveal? Are you a real entrepreneur? This year’s event comes with some twists. We used to think the most important factor to launch a startup was… a brilliant idea. Now we realize it takes much more. Are you able to bring together the right team to get your product developed? Can you validate the market need and iterate quickly? We’ll be watching to see who succeeds. Join us on June 19-21!
Note: Spots for Startup Weekend have all been taken. We received 650 applications and accepted 150 of the top participants. Many of you were wait listed. If you were accepted, you should have received an email and an SMS (please check your spam folder for your email just in case). You must make your payment asap to reserve your spot and finalize your registration.
- If you were accepted, you should make your payment at Gaza Sky Geeks (Abu Ghalion Building 3rd floor, Gaza City, open on business days from 9am-4pm) as soon as possible to reserve your spot. The cost of Startup Weekend is only 40NIS if you pay by June 5. If you wait until June 6 to pay, the price will increase to 50NIS. If you wait until June 13, the price will increase to 60NIS. If you do not pay by June 16, your spot will be given to someone on the wait list.
- If you are on the wait list, you will receive a message from us on June 17 if a spot opens up. Come immediately to Gaza Sky Geeks (on June 17 or 18) to make your payment of 40NIS.
- If any spots are available the day of the event, they will cost 80NIS.
There will be an orientation/bootcamp on June 12 to prepare you to succeed at this year’s Startup Weekend Gaza. You will only be able to come if you have previously registered. We may invite top people on the wait list to attend, too – wait for an email from us to see if you are invited. Attending that event will give you unique training that will be an advantage at Startup Weekend!
Twists at this year’s event: PRIZES: We will offer prizes in the following categories:
- Best Validation: At the last Startup Weekend Ramallah, 3 teams validated their idea during the weekend by obtaining revenue before the final pitch. Did you know it’s possible to build a startup and validate your idea by getting revenue so quickly? Now it’s your turn. Who in Gaza will be best at customer/market validation?
- Best Women’s Team: Women are key to launching successful startups. Research shows that women-led companies produce more revenue than companies with no women. In Gaza in particular, women are an incredible asset to a startup because many study software engineering and because women can travel more easily to represent the startup abroad. Which top team at Startup Weekend will have at least 50% women (including top leadership)? You’ll get a prize.
- Best B2B Idea: Investors are hungry for products that create real, immediate value for other businesses. Many are sick of startup ideas whose monetization model depends just on advertising. Can you create a product that will meet a business need outside of Gaza and that customers are <gasp> willing to pay for? Show us what you’ve got!
- Best Overall Idea: And of course, there will be the typical Startup Weekend judging criteria for the best overall idea!
Throughout your work, we encourage you to focus on ideas that have a large market (Middle East, United States, Europe, China, Brazil, Africa, etc… a startup that only serves clients in Gaza is not a startup).